Dilaudid – Abstract Painting

I wanted to focus more on the emotional side of the textures and colors for this one, so I obscured the subjects face with a smoky effect and worked his form into the body of the painting. I wanted all the transitions and blending to feel really natural and for lack of a better term, ‘two-dimensional’. Even with all the layers I think I largly accomplished that goal while keeping a lot of the shapes and contour interesting/engaging for those who want to take a closer work. The text is in Greek and Latin and deals with concepts of addiction, hence the name.

small cut

I think the interplay between the cross hatching and low opacity shapes created a futuristic sort of vibe that I kind of liked paired with the theme.

 

Cheers,

Blu

Burst and Decay – Mixed Media portrait

Bit of a splatter portrait with composite elements. I wanted to set up a cool illusion with the main portrait sharing eyes with the inked figures and I think it turned out pretty interesting. Not too much to say, I think some of my blending got sloppy but the lips turned out very well (I very often struggle with hyper realism in lips).

Anyway, the workflow was more straightforward than it probably looks. I sketched the face on watercolor paper in ink, did some basic shading to paint over. I was heavier in the areas with less detail to draw focus to the eyes and mouth. Did a lot of basic splatter effects around the edges of the face, then painted the skin. After that I blended the components and added the red splash, the buildings, comic book photos, and clouds composite style. Blended those and finished up.

Portrait6

Gemini – Mixed Media Painting

Another piece of my long standing zodiac project. This one means a lot to me. One of my best friends fell thirty feet in a climbing accident and hit his head on a rock. It took the doctors three days to determine he was brain dead. They took him off support last Saturday. He was a Gemini and my friend Kendra and I created a unique version of the image for his birthday, which was a week before the accident. He never got to see it finished, but I think he would’ve liked it. He was always supportive of my art. He was probably my only fan when I first started. He was just a good friend, always there for me, even when I wasn’t there for me, and even when I wasn’t there for him.

Gemini 93×104 inches

T-shirtcutcolorfull

copr blu-art, Kochre, and arctic-ink 2018

Some minor issues, but we’ll fix them.

Cancer – Painting

Phew. Been working on this one for a few months. A put out a smaller version a while back, then realized it had more potential. So I added, a lot. And made it huge. I’m proud of it. There’s a lot of little details that are easy to miss, especially when it’s shrunk down like this. (If you can find the negative space crab, I’ll be impressed.

I still need to clean up a few things (especially the lips and the transition to the waterfall). But I think it’s on track to be one of my most complex pieces.

 

94×73 inch digital painting

Cancer

copr Blu-art and Arktic-ink 2018, all rights reserved.

Wallpaper cut:

screensaver.png

Challenge: Abstract portrait using stacks of paper as a canvas

This turned out pretty clean all things considered. I used a stock photo of stacked papers as a base then drew the face (mostly splatter style, the nose was hard and took the most time), then accented the areas with other composites (the street is from Iowa City where I study). Tried a meatier style for the eye which is meant to be the focus with all the composites shooting out of it.

Here’s the stock photographers page who provided the canvas for free: Photo by Brandi Redd on Unsplash

17×30 inch at 200dpi

Soapyabstract4.png

copr Blu-art 2018, Arctic-Ink 2018

It’s pretty similar to the challenge I did here: https://bluebeard-art.com/2018/03/30/challenge-drawing-a-dragon-eye-using-a-leaf-as-a-canvas/

Except it’s mostly drawn where the dragon eye was frankensteined together with about twenty images and I really only shaded in the rocks and eye with the sketch in the pupil. That one was easier because it was all blending and less brushwork.

Here’s the original image (sourced above)

brandi-redd-122054-unsplash (1)

 

Cheers!

-Blu

Sagittarius (Art in progress)

IMG_7389

Spent a good amount of time getting the outline done and some preliminary shading so I know where to put the watercolor. Tried a new technique using metals and glue which turned out pretty cool for the first try. I used my fingernail for most of it to be honest. Still need to put in the Shadows and clean up the contour before I get to painting, though.

A few mistakes, but I’m pretty happy with how it’s going.