More Cover Art!

A collaboration project with an old art buddy of mine. Been working on it over the past month or so and I think it’s coming along nicely. It’s primarily a digital painting but there are composite elements in the largest flower and the famous building I’ve forgotten the name of (both were free photos from unsplash.com that we reworked into the composition). The subject was also based on a photo which I masked over and painted/re-textured. That’s essentially the equivalent of tracing something, but it is still painted and I think she turned out well.

T-shirt8

copr Blu-art and Kochre. 

I moved away here from my normal hyper-textured/realistic style primarily because there isn’t enough skin to make it work. Most of the composition was just black…so we worked in little Easter eggs from the story.

I’m especially proud of the eye re-texturing I did specifically for this piece.

Capture.PNG

 

Here’s a closeup of the most recent addition. There’s some smoothing out to do still, but I’m rather fond of how it turned out.

Capture

 

Here is a close-up of the hands alongside a few of the more complex transitions:

Capture.PNG

I know it seems needlessly bloody, but the character depicted loses a finger during the act this heads, which is what it references. Furthermore, I did a questionable job on repainting the contour of the hand and messed up the skin color a little. The blood helps cover up the mediocrity.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The artwork displayed here is copyrighted and not available for any type of reproduction without explicit written permission from me. I’m pretty open to letting people use stuff as long as they pass along credit, so don’t be afraid to ask!

My Portfolio: https://arctic-ink.myportfolio.com/

My Deviant Art: https://arctic-ink.deviantart.com/

My Design by Humans shop: https://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/ArcticInk/

2

Digital scene drawing (Surrealism/photo-realism)

One of my first real attempts at an augmented kind of full digital photo-realism. Drawn in illustrator and photo-shop and touched up in light-room. I wanted a more surreal vibe for this book as opposed to Saving Hadley’s cover art (will be posted once I’m content with it) which is also realistic but less grounded in a scene or reality. Butterfly Gate’s art on the other hand is all traditional with multimedia touch ups.

The stories have really helped me direct my art and what I wanted to accomplish with that art. Like I had no idea I’d be able to make something like this until I just tried, and I feel like it went pretty well. This is the cover art, but each act will still have it’s own specific artwork, so plenty of fun stuff to work towards and I think this set the tone rather well.

Stuff that went really well: The cracking texture. I found a good balance between distortion and pulling around the structure of the face without ever destroying too much detail that it’d look wonky or even that off. It was probably the hardest part, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Canvas dimensions: 4k by 12k pixels (almost fifty inches in the resolution I have set, so it’s actually a pretty big drawing)

Amyfin3.jpg

Challenges: I redrew the body and sweater three times. Clothes that drape are very difficult to draw with a mouse (I have an Intuos five but actually use a mouse and very small brushes when I shade/texture digital art. I’m weird like that. It is a good mouse with very precise sensitivity settings, so it’s not as hard as it may sound). It’s kind of like pixel art with a LOT of pixels and layers (sixty-three layers). Pretty fun!

Copyright notes: All rights reserved. If you’d like an unmarked copy of the file for personal or print use, ie non-commercial, just let me know and I can get that to you 🙂