Challenge: Abstract portrait using stacks of paper as a canvas

This turned out pretty clean all things considered. I used a stock photo of stacked papers as a base then drew the face (mostly splatter style, the nose was hard and took the most time), then accented the areas with other composites (the street is from Iowa City where I study). Tried a meatier style for the eye which is meant to be the focus with all the composites shooting out of it.

Here’s the stock photographers page who provided the canvas for free: Photo by Brandi Redd on Unsplash

17×30 inch at 200dpi

Soapyabstract4.png

copr Blu-art 2018, Arctic-Ink 2018

It’s pretty similar to the challenge I did here: https://bluebeard-art.com/2018/03/30/challenge-drawing-a-dragon-eye-using-a-leaf-as-a-canvas/

Except it’s mostly drawn where the dragon eye was frankensteined together with about twenty images and I really only shaded in the rocks and eye with the sketch in the pupil. That one was easier because it was all blending and less brushwork.

Here’s the original image (sourced above)

brandi-redd-122054-unsplash (1)

 

Cheers!

-Blu

Love Kills – Artwork

This was deceptively complicated to figure out and structure. I struggled quite a lot with making the face not derpy and even tried out using fur textures. Ended up running the opposite way and killing most of the detail on the wolf person to draw focus to the emissive window I put together (as it was much cleaner and ultimately more interesting).

 

Love hurts4

Digital scene drawing (Surrealism/photo-realism)

One of my first real attempts at an augmented kind of full digital photo-realism. Drawn in illustrator and photo-shop and touched up in light-room. I wanted a more surreal vibe for this book as opposed to Saving Hadley’s cover art (will be posted once I’m content with it) which is also realistic but less grounded in a scene or reality. Butterfly Gate’s art on the other hand is all traditional with multimedia touch ups.

The stories have really helped me direct my art and what I wanted to accomplish with that art. Like I had no idea I’d be able to make something like this until I just tried, and I feel like it went pretty well. This is the cover art, but each act will still have it’s own specific artwork, so plenty of fun stuff to work towards and I think this set the tone rather well.

Stuff that went really well: The cracking texture. I found a good balance between distortion and pulling around the structure of the face without ever destroying too much detail that it’d look wonky or even that off. It was probably the hardest part, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Canvas dimensions: 4k by 12k pixels (almost fifty inches in the resolution I have set, so it’s actually a pretty big drawing)

Amyfin3.jpg

Challenges: I redrew the body and sweater three times. Clothes that drape are very difficult to draw with a mouse (I have an Intuos five but actually use a mouse and very small brushes when I shade/texture digital art. I’m weird like that. It is a good mouse with very precise sensitivity settings, so it’s not as hard as it may sound). It’s kind of like pixel art with a LOT of pixels and layers (sixty-three layers). Pretty fun!

Copyright notes: All rights reserved. If you’d like an unmarked copy of the file for personal or print use, ie non-commercial, just let me know and I can get that to you 🙂

Sagittarius (Art in progress)

IMG_7389

Spent a good amount of time getting the outline done and some preliminary shading so I know where to put the watercolor. Tried a new technique using metals and glue which turned out pretty cool for the first try. I used my fingernail for most of it to be honest. Still need to put in the Shadows and clean up the contour before I get to painting, though.

A few mistakes, but I’m pretty happy with how it’s going.

Artwork: Leo

The first piece of a conceptual project I was commissioned for. This represents the zodiac sign Leo. I wanted to get across the whole sense of individuality and feelings of not quite belonging where-ever you go.

Overall it went pretty well, a lot of pen and line errors, especially in the skeletal portion. Had a lot of fun and learned some new techniques with watercolor.

11×8 inches on blick watercolor paper. Done in watercolor and ballpoint pens. The word are an overlay comprised of typed text and a page from my dictionary.

Orphan2

Artwork in Progress + Steps

 

I recorded many of the steps along the way: 

Outline work:

IMG_7096

 

Minor shading and reinforcing line-work:

IMG_7122

 

Watercolor overlay and deeper mid-tone base:

IMG_7143

Water-color detailing (Bad Picture, the light is reflecting off the heavier painted areas):

IMG_7152

Heavy oil and pen shading+detailing in addition to skin shading and texture work (Current Progress):

GhostV4

It has taken on a bit of a surreal vibe with the self-harm symbolism being echoed through the blood-tinged smoke, the wrist, the smoking, and standing in front of a moving train. I like how dark I’ve managed to get the shadows as well. I need to go in with some white and highlight a few things, but I want to get basic mid-ranges handled on the train and grass before I do so.

The scene itself is from Finding Happy: Chapter 11, which hasn’t been released yet. I need to spend a week or two re-editing the flow of part one as a whole, at which time I’ll start releasing more hard-content. Another issues with these pictures is I couldn’t submit .Tif files, which really hurts the shadows in the current drawing, especially the hair. I’m going to try to figure out which compression file works best for it in future uploads, but I just wanted an update on artwork put out since it’s been almost a week and a half.

-Cheers

Bluebeard