An abstract color/texture study. The goal was to make it as chaotic as possible without disturbing any of the focal points (eyes, forehead, nose, mouth, and chin highlights). It turned out way more interesting than I’d expected and I’m proud of it 🙂
I think the fade-away effect on the head turned out well on the left side but should have been wider as the hair shadow ended up looking a little awkward. I also struggled with shading the very tip of the nose. I made the decision to use magenta/pink gradients there and it was tough to accentuate the highlight at the tip properly. Any feedback on problem areas would be great (I’m interested in revisiting this and improving it in a few weeks)
43×67 inches (custom cut)
Bit of a splatter portrait with composite elements. I wanted to set up a cool illusion with the main portrait sharing eyes with the inked figures and I think it turned out pretty interesting. Not too much to say, I think some of my blending got sloppy but the lips turned out very well (I very often struggle with hyper realism in lips).
Anyway, the workflow was more straightforward than it probably looks. I sketched the face on watercolor paper in ink, did some basic shading to paint over. I was heavier in the areas with less detail to draw focus to the eyes and mouth. Did a lot of basic splatter effects around the edges of the face, then painted the skin. After that I blended the components and added the red splash, the buildings, comic book photos, and clouds composite style. Blended those and finished up.
A mixed media painting on cold-press. Ink, watercolor, and photo-manipulation for the geometric overlay of the ink-splatter. The face near the middle connected to the smoke is actually a portrait I did when I was first getting into digital and mixed media. It saved me a lot of time to use that and I think it looks pretty interesting.
copr Blu-Art 2018, all rights reserved.
Phew. Been working on this one for a few months. A put out a smaller version a while back, then realized it had more potential. So I added, a lot. And made it huge. I’m proud of it. There’s a lot of little details that are easy to miss, especially when it’s shrunk down like this. (If you can find the negative space crab, I’ll be impressed.
I still need to clean up a few things (especially the lips and the transition to the waterfall). But I think it’s on track to be one of my most complex pieces.
94×73 inch digital painting
copr Blu-art and Arktic-ink 2018, all rights reserved.
This turned out pretty clean all things considered. I used a stock photo of stacked papers as a base then drew the face (mostly splatter style, the nose was hard and took the most time), then accented the areas with other composites (the street is from Iowa City where I study). Tried a meatier style for the eye which is meant to be the focus with all the composites shooting out of it.
Here’s the stock photographers page who provided the canvas for free: Photo by Brandi Redd on Unsplash
17×30 inch at 200dpi
copr Blu-art 2018, Arctic-Ink 2018
It’s pretty similar to the challenge I did here: https://bluebeard-art.com/2018/03/30/challenge-drawing-a-dragon-eye-using-a-leaf-as-a-canvas/
Except it’s mostly drawn where the dragon eye was frankensteined together with about twenty images and I really only shaded in the rocks and eye with the sketch in the pupil. That one was easier because it was all blending and less brushwork.
Here’s the original image (sourced above)
This was deceptively complicated to figure out and structure. I struggled quite a lot with making the face not derpy and even tried out using fur textures. Ended up running the opposite way and killing most of the detail on the wolf person to draw focus to the emissive window I put together (as it was much cleaner and ultimately more interesting).